Xyrem and fibromyalgia
by Nathan Wei, MD, FACP, FACR
Nathan Wei is a nationally known board-certified rheumatologist and author of the Second Opinion Arthritis Treatment Kit. It's available exclusively at this website... not available in stores.
Click here: Second Opinion Arthritis Treatment Kit
Xyrem (gamma hydroxybutyrate) is a medication that consolidates sleep.
It is approved for narcolepsy and theoretically may help increase deep sleep in patients with fibromyalgia. Results from an initial study will by known later this year.
Xyrem has not been approved by the Federal Food and Drug Administration for use in fibromyalgia at the time of this post.
Some physicians have used it off label and it does seem to offer benefits for quite a few patients with fibromyalgia. Xyrem will probably be used as an adjunct to other therapies.
Unfortunately, the risks and benefits of the drug, particularly when combined with other medications used for fibromyalgia are still unknown.
The problem of obtaining good quality sleep for fibromyalgia patients remains elusive. Further research is needed.
Get more information about fibromyalgia and related topics as well as...
• Insider arthritis tips that help you erase the pain and fatigue of rheumatoid arthritis almost overnight!
• Devastating ammunition against low back pain... discover 9 secrets!
• Ignored remedies that eliminate fibromyalgia symptoms quickly!
• Obsolete treatments for knee osteoarthritis that still are used... and may still work for you!
• The stiff penalties you face if you ignore this type of hip pain...
• 7 easy-to-implement neck pain remedies that work like a charm!
• And much more...
Second Opinion Arthritis Treatment Kit
Return to arthritis home page.