What beverages can I drink if I suffer from gout?
by Nathan Wei, MD, FACP, FACR
Nathan Wei is a nationally known board-certified rheumatologist and author of the Second Opinion Arthritis Treatment Kit. It's available exclusively at this website... not available in stores.
Click here: Second Opinion Arthritis Treatment Kit
Information, in part, from the Arthritis Foundation
Gout is a metabolic condition resulting from purine metabolism that leads to the deposition of monosodium urate crystals. These crystals then cause an inflammatory response most commonly in the joints.
Monosodium urate or uric acid is a byproduct of purine metabolism. Purines are an ingredient found in many types of food. When purines are broken down they form uric acid. Most people with gout are unable to get rid of the uric acid fast enough. This leads to a build up of uric acid in the body.
While medications can often manage gout, sometimes it doesn’t work completely and sometimes people develop side effects. A significant part of the comprehensive management of gout is a low purine diet.
Eating the right foods can help reduce the amount of purines in your body. This will lessen the amount of uric acid in your body.
And drinking the right beverages may also help.
Alcohol consumption should be minimized. Alcohol can cause gout flare ups. The reason is that alcohol reduces the ability of the kidney to eliminate uric acid from the body.
Drink the following things as often as you like while following an eating plan for staying at ideal body weight.
• Coffee and tea
• Cream-style soups made with low-fat milk
• Fruit juices
• Milk: skim or 1% (limit to 24 ounces per day)
• Soups made without meat extract or broth
These beverages have too many purines in them and should be avoided. A serving of liquids is 1 cup.
• Broth, consommes, and bouillon, or soups made with meat or poultry stock
• Meat soups, broths
• Red wine
Get more information about what beverages can I drink if I suffer from gout? and related topics as well as...
• Insider arthritis tips that help you erase the pain and fatigue of rheumatoid arthritis almost overnight!
• Devastating ammunition against low back pain... discover 9 secrets!
• Ignored remedies that eliminate fibromyalgia symptoms quickly!
• Obsolete treatments for knee osteoarthritis that still are used... and may still work for you!
• The stiff penalties you face if you ignore this type of hip pain...
• 7 easy-to-implement neck pain remedies that work like a charm!
• And much more...
Second Opinion Arthritis Treatment Kit
Return to arthritis home page.