Symptoms Lyme disease
by Nathan Wei, MD, FACP, FACR
Nathan Wei is a nationally known board-certified rheumatologist and author of the Second Opinion Arthritis Treatment Kit. It's available exclusively at this website... not available in stores.
Click here: Second Opinion Arthritis Treatment Kit
Deer ticks can be so small that they are almost impossible to see. Therefore, many people with Lyme disease never see a tick. These people are more likely to develop symptoms because the tick remained on their body longer.
The symptoms of Lyme disease include:
• A flat or slightly raised red lesion at the site of the tick bite (can be larger than 1 to 3 inches in diameter, often with a clear area in the center)
• Muscle pains
• Stiff neck
• Joint inflammation in the knees and other large joints
Additional symptoms that may be associated with this disease:
• Itching, overall
• Unusual or strange behavior
• Severe radiculoneuropathy
• Demyelinating neuropathy
• Facial diplegia (bilateral facial nerve paralysis)
• TMJ arthritis
• Lymph node swelling
• Testicular swelling
• Atrioventricular conduction abnormality
• Acrodermatitis chronica atrophicans
Signs and tests
Physical examination in advanced Lyme disease may show evidence of joint, heart, or brain abnormalities
Antibodies to Borrelia burgdorferi by immunofluorescence (IFA) or ELISA are helpful for diagnosis. False positive and false negative laboratory results limit ELISA interpretation. ELISA tests are confirmed with a Western blot test. Polymerase Chain Reaction or PCR is sometimes used in cases that are equivocal. Cross reactivity with Treponema pallidum may occur. B. burgdorferi antibodies may be greater in the CSF than the serum of patients with neuroborreliosis. Skin biopsy of the leading edge of ECM sometimes reveals the spirochetes.
Get more information about symptoms Lyme disease and related topics as well as...
• Insider arthritis tips that help you erase the pain and fatigue of rheumatoid arthritis almost overnight!
• Devastating ammunition against low back pain... discover 9 secrets!
• Ignored remedies that eliminate fibromyalgia symptoms quickly!
• Obsolete treatments for knee osteoarthritis that still are used... and may still work for you!
• The stiff penalties you face if you ignore this type of hip pain...
• 7 easy-to-implement neck pain remedies that work like a charm!
• And much more...
Click here Second Opinion Arthritis Treatment Kit
Return to arthritis home page.