by Nathan Wei, MD, FACP, FACR
Nathan Wei is a nationally known board-certified rheumatologist and author of the Second Opinion Arthritis Treatment Kit. It's available exclusively at this website... not available in stores.
Click here: Second Opinion Arthritis Treatment Kit
Arthritis commonly affects the spine.
Signs and symptoms of arthritis include inflammation, stiffness and pain in the joints. In the spine, symptoms may also include one or more of the following:
• Intermittent back pain
• Spinal stiffness in the morning or after activity.
• Pain that may get better with movement or worse with movement- different types of arthritis behave differently
• Lower back pain that radiates to the buttocks, thighs, or pelvic area
• Weakness or numbness in legs or arms
• Limited range of motion, difficulty bending or walking
• Spinal deformity
The diagnosis of type of arthritis is key to getting the right type of treatment.
A patient will need to undergo a careful history and physical examination as well as further tests such as:
•Laboratory tests - these will help determine the type of arthritis.
•X-rays - these tests can show the structure of the vertebrae.
•MRI (magnetic resonance imaging) can show the spinal cord, nerve roots and surrounding spaces. CT scanning may sometimes used as well.
•EMG – a test where the nerves and muscles are tested to look for nerve root damage.
If your doctor determines that you have arthritis in your spine, there are a number of treatment options.
The treatments will vary depending on diagnosis. For example, anlylosing spondylitis is an inflammatory form of arthritis that will require biologic therapy. Degenerative arthritis is treated much like it is treated in other areas of the body.
While there is no cure for arthritis,it can be treated successfully with medications, physical therapy, exercise, heat/cold therapy, injections, and rest. There are multiple options available.
Get more information about spinal arthritis and related topics as well as...
• Insider arthritis tips that help you erase the pain and fatigue of rheumatoid arthritis almost overnight!
• Devastating ammunition against low back pain... discover 9 secrets!
• Ignored remedies that eliminate fibromyalgia symptoms quickly!
• Obsolete treatments for knee osteoarthritis that still are used... and may still work for you!
• The stiff penalties you face if you ignore this type of hip pain...
• 7 easy-to-implement neck pain remedies that work like a charm!
• And much more...
Second Opinion Arthritis Treatment Kit
Return to arthritis home page.