by Nathan Wei, MD, FACP, FACR
Nathan Wei is a nationally known board-certified rheumatologist and author of the Second Opinion Arthritis Treatment Kit. It's available exclusively at this website... not available in stores.
Click here: Second Opinion Arthritis Treatment Kit
Sicca syndrome is not synonymous with Sjogren’s disease.
Sjogren’s disease refers to an autoimmune disorder which is a close cousin to systemic lupus erythematosus. Patients with Sjogren’s disease have abnormal antibodies and inflammatory damage involving multiple organ systems.
Sicca syndrome on the other hand consists of the following two features:
o Keratoconjunctivitis - Dry eyes with reduced tear production with gritty or sandy sensation under the lids; red eyes; photosensitivity
o Xerostomia - Decreased saliva production leading to difficulties with chewing, swallowing, and even speech; abnormality in taste and smell; dental caries; mucosal burning sensation; sensitivity to spicy and acidic foods and beverages; increased risk for oral candidiasis; hoarseness of voice
Sicca syndrome is a prominent component of Sjogren's disease. In other words, it is unusual to see a person with bona fide Sjogren's disease who does not have sicca syndrome.
The terms Sjogren's syndrome and sicca syndrome are sometimes used interchangeably.
Get more information about sicca syndrome and related topics as well as...
• Insider arthritis tips that help you erase the pain and fatigue of rheumatoid arthritis almost overnight!
• Devastating ammunition against low back pain... discover 9 secrets!
• Ignored remedies that eliminate fibromyalgia symptoms quickly!
• Obsolete treatments for knee osteoarthritis that still are used... and may still work for you!
• The stiff penalties you face if you ignore this type of hip pain...
• 7 easy-to-implement neck pain remedies that work like a charm!
• And much more...
Second Opinion Arthritis Treatment Kit
Return to arthritis home page.