by Nathan Wei, MD, FACP, FACR
Nathan Wei is a nationally known board-certified rheumatologist and author of the Second Opinion Arthritis Treatment Kit. It's available exclusively at this website... not available in stores.
Click here: Second Opinion Arthritis Treatment Kit
A rheumatologist is a medical specialist in arthritis.
Rheumatologists , after graduating from college, attend medical school for four years. They then do a residency in internal medicine for between three and four years.
After they complete their residency, they take the Board Certification examination in internal medicine. They must pass this before going onto training in rheumatology which is another two or three year fellowship.
Some rheumatologists have additional training in Radiology.
After the fellowship, a physician who is training to be a rheumatologist must take the certifying board examination for Rheumatology. They must pass this exam as well.
While a rheumatologist still may practice rheumatology even if they don’t pass the exam, it is obviously better if they have. Another question a patient may want to ask is “how many times did it take for you to pass the Rheumatology board certifying examination, Doctor?”
While many rheumatologists pass on the first try, some rheumatologists take multiple attempts.
Other things to look for in a rheumatologist are:
• Did they train at a solid research center like the National Institutes of Health?
• Do they have a faculty appointment at a medical school? (they should)
• Have they published at least 30 papers in peer-reviewed journals? (this is a minimum number)
• Do they do clinical research? (the best doctors do)
• How long have they performed research? (should be at least 20 years)
• Do they stay current with new developments?
• Are they well-known in their specialty?
• Do they have empathy?
• What kind of staff do they have… is it friendly and well-trained?
Get more information about arthritis and related topics as well as...
• Insider arthritis tips that help you erase the pain and fatigue of rheumatoid arthritis almost overnight!
• Devastating ammunition against low back pain... discover 9 secrets!
• Ignored remedies that eliminate fibromyalgia symptoms quickly!
• Obsolete treatments for knee osteoarthritis that still are used... and may still work for you!
• The stiff penalties you face if you ignore this type of hip pain...
• 7 easy-to-implement neck pain remedies that work like a charm!
• And much more...
Second Opinion Arthritis Treatment Kit
Return to arthritis home page.