Rheumatoid factor = 38
by Nathan Wei, MD, FACP, FACR
Nathan Wei is a nationally known board-certified rheumatologist and author of the Second Opinion Arthritis Treatment Kit. It's available exclusively at this website... not available in stores.
Click here: Second Opinion Arthritis Treatment Kit
Rheumatoid factor is a laboratory test that is used to help confirm the diagnosis of rheumatoid arthritis. Different laboratories have different ranges of positivity.
A positive rheumatoid factor does not necessarily indicate rheumatoid arthritis. Positive rheumatoid factors can be seen in a number of other conditions including: sarcoidosis, infectious endocarditis, syphilis, leprosy, and normal aging.
A negative rheumatoid factor does not exclude the diagnosis of rheumatoid arthritis. Early in the disease, the rheumatoid factor can be negative and 20 per cent of patients with RA will be persistently negative for rheumatoid factor throughout the course of their illness.
The level of rheumatoid factor does fluctuate with the level of disease activity in many patients.
A more specific laboratory test for rheumatoid arthritis is the anti-cyclic citrullinated peptide antibody (Anti-CCP) test.
Get more information about rheumatoid arthritis and related topics as well as...
• Insider arthritis tips that help you erase the pain and fatigue of rheumatoid arthritis almost overnight!
• Devastating ammunition against low back pain... discover 9 secrets!
• Ignored remedies that eliminate fibromyalgia symptoms quickly!
• Obsolete treatments for knee osteoarthritis that still are used... and may still work for you!
• The stiff penalties you face if you ignore this type of hip pain...
• 7 easy-to-implement neck pain remedies that work like a charm!
• And much more...
Click here Second Opinion Arthritis Treatment Kit
Return to arthritis home page.