Recipes for ginger and arthritis
by Nathan Wei, MD, FACP, FACR
Nathan Wei is a nationally known board-certified rheumatologist and author of the Second Opinion Arthritis Treatment Kit. It's available exclusively at this website... not available in stores.
Click here: Second Opinion Arthritis Treatment Kit
Ginger (Zingiber officinale) is the root of a lily plant. It is a staple of Asian cooking and is often used to settle an upset stomach.
Multiple research trials have shown ginger to have both analgesic as well as anti-inflammatory effects. It blocks the production of prostaglandins and leukotrienes which cause pain and swelling.
Clinical studies in patients with both osteoarthritis and rheumatoid arthritis have demonstrated improvements in both pain and swelling. A randomized controlled study of an Indian herbal remedy that combined ginger with boswellia, turmeric, and ashwagandha showed similar results with both OA and RA.
Ginger may be made into a tea by adding one teaspoon of freshly grated ginger to a cup of hot water and letting it steep. (Freezing the ginger root before using it makes it easier to grate).
Hot compresses employing ginger root are also effective. Ginger has been used in tonic form for centuries.
While ginger is available in capsules or tablets, it is better to use it in your cooking.
Most simple Asian recipes use this versatile root. Use it in finely minced form and sauté it in hot oil (try using sesame oil for a unique flavor) prior to adding other ingredients. Saute with fresh garlic to add even more zest.
I often use ginger in sir fry dishes as well as in noodle dishes along with garlic of course.
Get more information about recipes for ginger and arthritis and related topics as well as...
• Insider arthritis tips that help you erase the pain and fatigue of rheumatoid arthritis almost overnight!
• Devastating ammunition against low back pain... discover 9 secrets!
• Ignored remedies that eliminate fibromyalgia symptoms quickly!
• Obsolete treatments for knee osteoarthritis that still are used... and may still work for you!
• The stiff penalties you face if you ignore this type of hip pain...
• 7 easy-to-implement neck pain remedies that work like a charm!
• And much more...
Second Opinion Arthritis Treatment Kit
Return to arthritis home page.