by Nathan Wei, MD, FACP, FACR
Nathan Wei is a nationally known board-certified rheumatologist and author of the Second Opinion Arthritis Treatment Kit. It's available exclusively at this website... not available in stores.
Click here: Second Opinion Arthritis Treatment Kit
Studies indicate topical usefulness of peppermint extracts in multiple medical conditions including headache, muscle aches, post-herpetic neuralgia, toothache, oral mucosal inflammation, itching, hives and as an antibacterial, antiviral agent. It also has been used as a mosquito repellant.
Orally, the oil has been used for colds, coughs, irritable bowel syndrome, dyspepsia, and dysmenorrhea. The oil is obtained by steam distillation of the above-ground parts of the flowering peppermint plant.
It contains 28-28 percent menthol, 20-31 percent menthone and 3-10 percent methyl acetate. Its topical action is as a counterirritant. This is where its effectiveness in arthritis has been used as an ingredient in various topical preparations. It has in vitro antibacterial and antiviral effects. It also increases salivation. It inhibits the cough reflex.
Adverse reactions from topical use include skin irritation and contact dermatitis. Application to the face, nasal, chest areas of babies, small children can cause laryngeal and bronchial spasms leading to respiratory collapse.
Get more information about peppermint arthritis and related topics as well as...
• Insider arthritis tips that help you erase the pain and fatigue of rheumatoid arthritis almost overnight!
• Devastating ammunition against low back pain... discover 9 secrets!
• Ignored remedies that eliminate fibromyalgia symptoms quickly!
• Obsolete treatments for knee osteoarthritis that still are used... and may still work for you!
• The stiff penalties you face if you ignore this type of hip pain...
• 7 easy-to-implement neck pain remedies that work like a charm!
• And much more...
Second Opinion Arthritis Treatment Kit
Return to arthritis home page.