by Nathan Wei, MD, FACP, FACR
Nathan Wei is a nationally known board-certified rheumatologist and author of the Second Opinion Arthritis Treatment Kit. It's available exclusively at this website... not available in stores.
Click here: Second Opinion Arthritis Treatment Kit
Neurontin (Gabapentin) is a second-generation anticonvulsant medication (U.S. FDA 1993), approved for the treatment of epileptic seizures.
Anticonvulsants are believed to work in part by by enhancing the actions of a natural brain chemical, GABA (gamma-aminobutyric acid). GABA is a neurotransmitter, a chemical that carries messages between brain nerve cells. GABA inhibits the transmission of nerve signals, thereby reducing nervous excitation.
Like other anticonvulsant medications, Gabapentin may be effective in treating conditions as varied as mood and anxiety disorders, sleep disorders, preventing migraine headaches and reducing chronic, neuropathic pain. In terms of pain relief, Gabapentin appears to be at least as effective as the tricyclic antidepressants, like amitriptyline, but has a much better safety profile with fewer potential drug interactions and side effects. Fibromyalgia patients may also benefit from its positive effect on slow wave sleep and its effectiveness in reducing restless leg syndrome. Sleepiness, dizziness, and problems with coordination are the most commonly reported side effects.
Get more information about neurontin and related topics as well as...
• Insider arthritis tips that help you erase the pain and fatigue of rheumatoid arthritis almost overnight!
• Devastating ammunition against low back pain... discover 9 secrets!
• Ignored remedies that eliminate fibromyalgia symptoms quickly!
• Obsolete treatments for knee osteoarthritis that still are used... and may still work for you!
• The stiff penalties you face if you ignore this type of hip pain...
• 7 easy-to-implement neck pain remedies that work like a charm!
• And much more...
Click here Second Opinion Arthritis Treatment Kit
Return to arthritis home page.