Muscle pain and flu and arthritis
by Nathan Wei, MD, FACP, FACR
Nathan Wei is a nationally known board-certified rheumatologist and author of the Second Opinion Arthritis Treatment Kit. It's available exclusively at this website... not available in stores.
Click here: Second Opinion Arthritis Treatment Kit
Muscle pain is most frequently related to overuse, or muscle injury from exercise or work.
Muscle pain also can be a sign of conditions such as infections (including the flu) and disorders that affect connective tissues (such as lupus).
For people who actually do have influenza (the flu), common symptoms include:
• High fever (hovering above 101°F) and chilliness;
• Severe muscle aches and pains;
• Traditional cold symptoms;
Both colds and flu tend to last for about five or six days. Muscle aches accompanying the flu can be debilitating.
Some patients will develop flu-like symptoms after getting a flu shot with muscular aches (myalgias) and joint aches (arthralgias). These usually resolve within 48 hours and can be treated symptomatically. Patients can develop arthritic symptoms following an actual viral infection such as parvovirus. This can even lead to a rheumatoid arthritis-like condition. Patients with chronic viral conditions such as Hepatitis C infection may have recurrent joint aches (arthralgias).
One common cause of muscle aches and pains is fibromyalgia, a condition that includes tenderness in your muscles and surrounding soft tissue, sleep difficulties, fatigue, and headaches.
Get more information about Muscle pain and flu and arthritis and related conditions as well as...
• Insider arthritis tips that help you erase the pain and fatigue of rheumatoid arthritis almost overnight!
• Devastating ammunition against low back pain... discover 9 secrets!
• Ignored remedies that eliminate fibromyalgia symptoms quickly!
• Obsolete treatments for knee osteoarthritis that still are used... and may still work for you!
• The stiff penalties you face if you ignore this type of hip pain...
• 7 easy-to-implement neck pain remedies that work like a charm!
• And much more...
Second Opinion Arthritis Treatment Kit
Return to arthritis home page.