Lung cancer and neck pain
by Nathan Wei, MD, FACP, FACR
Nathan Wei is a nationally known board-certified rheumatologist and author of the Second Opinion Arthritis Treatment Kit. It's available exclusively at this website... not available in stores.
Click here: Second Opinion Arthritis Treatment Kit
Neck pain has many possible causes, including:
• bone infections (osteomyelitis)
• Paget's disease
• bulging or ruptured disk in the neck
• muscle strain, such as occurs during whiplash or from lifting heavy objects
• broken or dislocations in the neck
• pinched nerve in the neck
• cancer or a tumor, such as from cancer in the thyroid gland, breast cancer, or lung cancer that metastasizes to the neck
• referred pain, which is pain that comes from another part of the body. For instance, neck pain can occur with a heart attack or gastroesophageal reflux disease.
• infections in the neck, such as a strep throat. Ear infections, such as acute otitis media, and subacute thyroiditis, are other causes.
• psychological causes, such as anxiety, depression, or psychosis
Squamous cells form the lining of many organs, including the mouth, nose, skin, throat, and lungs. Cancer can begin in the squamous cells and spread (metastasize) from the original site to lymph nodes in the neck.
Small cell lung cancer accounts for about a 20% of all lung cancer cases. Also called oat cell carcinoma of the lung, it has the most rapid clinical course of any type of lung cancer, with average survival time of only several months without treatment. Compared with other types of lung cancer, small cell carcinoma has a greater tendency to have spread widely by the time of diagnosis and the majority of diagnosed patients also have metastases.
Small cell lung cancer can spread via lymphatic vessels to the lymph nodes in the center of the lung, the center of the chest, in the neck and above the collarbone, and in the abdominal cavity. It is likely to spread through the bloodstream to the liver, lungs, brain and bone. Classically, small cell lung cancer presents with small primary tumors in the lung and enlarged lymph nodes, often in the neck.
Get more information about lung cancer and neck pain and related conditions as well as...
• Insider arthritis tips that help you erase the pain and fatigue of rheumatoid arthritis almost overnight!
• Devastating ammunition against low back pain... discover 9 secrets!
• Ignored remedies that eliminate fibromyalgia symptoms quickly!
• Obsolete treatments for knee osteoarthritis that still are used... and may still work for you!
• The stiff penalties you face if you ignore this type of hip pain...
• 7 easy-to-implement neck pain remedies that work like a charm!
• And much more...
Second Opinion Arthritis Treatment Kit
Return to arthritis home page.