Levaquin causes joint pain
by Nathan Wei, MD, FACP, FACR
Nathan Wei is a nationally known board-certified rheumatologist and author of the Second Opinion Arthritis Treatment Kit. It's available exclusively at this website... not available in stores.
Click here: Second Opinion Arthritis Treatment Kit
Fluoroquinolone antibiotics are frequently used to treat upper respiratory and urinary tract infections.
Levofloxacin (Levaquin) is an antibiotic used to treat a variety of bacterial infections, including pneumonia, sinusitis, urinary tract infections, skin infections, acute bronchitis, and other types of infection.
There have been anecdotal reports of increased joint pains in patients taking levaquin.
Tendon rupture can occur during or after therapy with quinolones, including levofloxacin.
Ruptures of the shoulder, hand, or Achilles tendons that required surgical repair or resulted in prolonged disability have been reported in patients receiving quinolones, including levofloxacin. Reports following FDA approval indicate that this risk may be increased in patients receiving corticosteroids, especially in the elderly.
Levofloxacin should be discontinued if the patient experiences pain, inflammation, or rupture of a tendon. Patients should rest and limit activity until the diagnosis of tendonitis or tendon rupture has been ruled out.
For more information about tendonitis, visit our sister site:
Tendonitis TendonitisandPRP.com provides reliable, accurate, and useful information on tendonitis treatment written by a board-certified rheumatologist. Learn more about how to get tendonitis relief using the most up-to-date methods.
Get more information about levaquin causes joint pain and related conditions as well as...
• Insider arthritis tips that help you erase the pain and fatigue of rheumatoid arthritis almost overnight!
• Devastating ammunition against low back pain... discover 9 secrets!
• Ignored remedies that eliminate fibromyalgia symptoms quickly!
• Obsolete treatments for knee osteoarthritis that still are used... and may still work for you!
• The stiff penalties you face if you ignore this type of hip pain...
• 7 easy-to-implement neck pain remedies that work like a charm!
• And much more...
Second Opinion Arthritis Treatment Kit
Return to arthritis home page.