Joint pain in hypothyroid breast feeding mother
by Nathan Wei, MD, FACP, FACR
Nathan Wei is a nationally known board-certified rheumatologist and author of the Second Opinion Arthritis Treatment Kit. It's available exclusively at this website... not available in stores.
Click here: Second Opinion Arthritis Treatment Kit
There are a number of reasons why a woman who is post partum may start to develop joint pains. First of all is the development of hypothyroidism.
Symptoms of hypothyroidism include:
• General muscular weakness and pain, including cramps
• General joint pain, achiness, stiffness
• Tendonitis in the arms and legs
• Carpal tunnel syndrome
• Tarsal tunnel syndrome-- similar to carpal tunnel- except in the foot, with pain, tingling,burning and other discomfort in the arch of the foot, the bottom of the foot, and the toes.
Typically, the symptoms resolve with proper treatment of the thyroid condition. When muscle and joint pain do not go away with proper thyroid treatment, however, it's time to check a few things.
First, is the patient getting sufficient replacement?
Second, could it be fibromyalgia? Fibromyalgia is a syndrome that features specific tender points in the body, with widespread weakness and fatigue.
Hypothyroidism can also cause myopathy -- the medical term for a condition that affects skeletal muscle and cause aches and pains.
A significant percentage of people with hypothyroidism end up also being diagnosed with fibromyalgia. Both conditions share symptoms, including fatigue, exhaustion, depression, brain fog, and varying degrees of muscle and joint pain.
Fibromyalgia is characterized by widespread joint and muscle pain and tenderness, fatigue, and exhaustion after sleep and after effort.
The postpartum period is also a prime time for young women to develop other more serious forms of arthritis such as rheumatoid arthritis and systemic lupus erythematosus. Any woman who is postpartum and who is also experiencing aches and pains should be evaluated by a rheumatologist as soon as possible.
Get more information about joint pain in hypothyroid breast feeding mother and related conditions as well as...
• Insider arthritis tips that help you erase the pain and fatigue of rheumatoid arthritis almost overnight!
• Devastating ammunition against low back pain... discover 9 secrets!
• Ignored remedies that eliminate fibromyalgia symptoms quickly!
• Obsolete treatments for knee osteoarthritis that still are used... and may still work for you!
• The stiff penalties you face if you ignore this type of hip pain...
• 7 easy-to-implement neck pain remedies that work like a charm!
• And much more...
Second Opinion Arthritis Treatment Kit
Return to arthritis home page.