by Nathan Wei, MD, FACP, FACR
Nathan Wei is a nationally known board-certified rheumatologist and author of the Second Opinion Arthritis Treatment Kit. It's available exclusively at this website... not available in stores.
Click here: Second Opinion Arthritis Treatment Kit
The word "arthritis" refers to a condition describing more than 100 different diseases.
The word is derived from the Greek, “arthron” meaning joint and “itis” meaning inflammation.
The joint is the area where two bones interact. The end of each bone is covered by a thin layer of cartilage. The ends of the bones then are surrounded by a joint capsule that is lined with synovial tissue. The synovial tissue produces a lubricant called synovial fluid that allows the joint to glide.
While most forms of arthritis affect the joints leading to damage to the cartilage and synovial lining, other types of arthritis may affect structures such as the bursae, tendons, and ligaments. Some types of arthritis may also affect internal organs.
The pattern of joint involvement frequently provides a valuable clue as to the type of arthritis. For example, rheumatoid arthritis is typically symmetrical and affects the small joints of the hands, wrists, and feet when it first starts. Psoriatic arthritis is generally assymetric and causes swelling and inflammation of tendon insertions as well as joints. Gout often affects only one or two joints when it starts. Ankylosing spondylitis often starts with low back or neck pain and then involves more peripheral joints.
The type of arthritis will determine proper therapy. Bottom line: appropriate treatment depends on the diagnosis.
Get more information about joint arthritis and related conditions as well as...
• Insider arthritis tips that help you erase the pain and fatigue of rheumatoid arthritis almost overnight!
• Devastating ammunition against low back pain... discover 9 secrets!
• Ignored remedies that eliminate fibromyalgia symptoms quickly!
• Obsolete treatments for knee osteoarthritis that still are used... and may still work for you!
• The stiff penalties you face if you ignore this type of hip pain...
• 7 easy-to-implement neck pain remedies that work like a charm!
• And much more...
Second Opinion Arthritis Treatment Kit
Return to arthritis home page.