Healing the autoimmune system
by Nathan Wei, MD, FACP, FACR
Nathan Wei is a nationally known board-certified rheumatologist and author of the Second Opinion Arthritis Treatment Kit. It's available exclusively at this website... not available in stores.
Click here: Second Opinion Arthritis Treatment Kit
There is no cure for autoimmune disorders.
Medications may be taken to relieve symptoms, depending on the specific disease. Each person's immune system is unique and treatment varies from patient to patient. Symptoms can often be controlled by drugs, an example of which are corticosteroids. However, side effects such as osteoporosis (thinning of the bones), bruising easily, susceptibility to infections, diabetes and increased blood pressure are common.
Some forms of rheumatic autoimmune diseases are often treated with non steroidal anti-inflammatory medications, such as aspirin and ibuprofen, to reduce symptoms.
In more severe cases, drugs that suppress or slow down the immune system and thus slow down progression of the disease, such as cyclophosphamide (Cytoxan), methotrexate, mycophenolate mofetil (Cellcept), or azathioprine (Imuran) may also be used.
In other types of autoimmune disease, biologic agents including interferons, interleukins, anti-tumor necrosis factors and other cytokines and anti-cytokines may modify the course of the disease. In many conditions, such as rheumatoid arthritis, for example, remission is possible.
Get more information about healing the autoimmune system and related issues as well as...
• Insider arthritis tips that help you erase the pain and fatigue of rheumatoid arthritis almost overnight!
• Devastating ammunition against low back pain... discover 9 secrets!
• Ignored remedies that eliminate fibromyalgia symptoms quickly!
• Obsolete treatments for knee osteoarthritis that still are used... and may still work for you!
• The stiff penalties you face if you ignore this type of hip pain...
• 7 easy-to-implement neck pain remedies that work like a charm!
• And much more...
Second Opinion Arthritis Treatment Kit
Return to arthritis home page.