Gout genetic cause
by Nathan Wei, MD, FACP, FACR
Nathan Wei is a nationally known board-certified rheumatologist and author of the Second Opinion Arthritis Treatment Kit. It's available exclusively at this website... not available in stores.
Click here: Second Opinion Arthritis Treatment Kit
The two main mechanisms of elevated serum uric acid (SUA)are uric acid overproduction (in 10% to 15% of patients with primary gout) and reduced kidney clearance of uric acid (in the rest of patients).
Two X-linked enzyme disorders cause increased rates of uric acid production:
They are hypoxanthine-guanine phosphoribosyltransferase (HGPRT) deficiency and phosphoribosylpyrophosphate (PRPP) synthetase overactivity. These disorders may present with neurologic signs in infancy or early childhood.
HGPRT deficiency produces Lesch-Nyhan syndrome, which is characterized by sensorineural deafness and self-mutilation.
PRPP synthetase overactivity results in impaired neurologic development.
Arguably, most people who suffer from gout have a metabolic tendency towards developing this condition. Many people with gout also have other medical conditions such as obesity, diabetes, hyperlipidemia, and hypertension. This confluence of disorders is termed the "metabolic syndrome."
Get more information about gout genetic cause and related issues as well as...
• Insider arthritis tips that help you erase the pain and fatigue of rheumatoid arthritis almost overnight!
• Devastating ammunition against low back pain... discover 9 secrets!
• Ignored remedies that eliminate fibromyalgia symptoms quickly!
• Obsolete treatments for knee osteoarthritis that still are used... and may still work for you!
• The stiff penalties you face if you ignore this type of hip pain...
• 7 easy-to-implement neck pain remedies that work like a charm!
• And much more...
Click here Second Opinion Arthritis Treatment Kit
Return to arthritis home page.