Fibromyalgia and definition
by Nathan Wei, MD, FACP, FACR
Nathan Wei is a nationally known board-certified rheumatologist and author of the Second Opinion Arthritis Treatment Kit. It's available exclusively at this website... not available in stores.
Click here: Second Opinion Arthritis Treatment Kit
Fibromyalgia is one of the most common causes of aches and pains.
The definition of fibromyalgia is best described by criteria formulated by the American College of Rheumatology in 1990. These criteria are:
• Widespread pain of three or more months duration. (Widespread pain being defined as pain affecting the spine and affecting both sides of the body and pain above and below the waist.)
• Pain present in 11 or more out of 18 specified tender points on pressure exerted with a force of 4 kg (the amount of pressure required to blanch a thumbnail).
Other symptoms such as fatigue, sleep disturbance, stiffness, skin fold sensitivity, cold intolerance, and problems with short term memory may also be present but are not considered strict criteria.
See the section on fibromyalgia elsewhere on this website.
Get more information about fibromaylgia and related conditions as well as...
• Insider arthritis tips that help you erase the pain and fatigue of rheumatoid arthritis almost overnight!
• Devastating ammunition against low back pain... discover 9 secrets!
• Ignored remedies that eliminate fibromyalgia symptoms quickly!
• Obsolete treatments for knee osteoarthritis that still are used... and may still work for you!
• The stiff penalties you face if you ignore this type of hip pain...
• 7 easy-to-implement neck pain remedies that work like a charm!
• And much more...
Click here Second Opinion Arthritis Treatment Kit
Return to arthritis home page.