by Nathan Wei, MD, FACP, FACR
Nathan Wei is a nationally known board-certified rheumatologist and author of the Second Opinion Arthritis Treatment Kit. It's available exclusively at this website... not available in stores.
Click here: Second Opinion Arthritis Treatment Kit
This drug is a non-purine xanthine oxidase inhibitor under FDA review for treatment of hyperuricemia in gout.
It is a urate lowering drug which, hopefully, won’t cause hypersensitivity.
Side effects noted in clinical trials include:
• Liver function tests
• Abdominal pain
Also, there has been some concern regarding potential cardiovascular side effects.
There was a 75% median reduction in tophus size over 52 weeks with febuxostat when the serum uric acid was kept below 6.0 mg/dL.
Because of the relative toxicity of allopurinol as well as the ineffectiveness of probenecid in many patients, febuxostat is viewed as a potentially valuable treatment for gout.
Another therapy that is undergoing trial is PEG-uricase. This is a drug that converts uric acid to allantoin, a seemingly harmless product. It is administered via intravenous infusion.
Get more information about febuxostat gout and related issues as well as...
• Insider arthritis tips that help you erase the pain and fatigue of rheumatoid arthritis almost overnight!
• Devastating ammunition against low back pain... discover 9 secrets!
• Ignored remedies that eliminate fibromyalgia symptoms quickly!
• Obsolete treatments for knee osteoarthritis that still are used... and may still work for you!
• The stiff penalties you face if you ignore this type of hip pain...
• 7 easy-to-implement neck pain remedies that work like a charm!
• And much more...
Click here Second Opinion Arthritis Treatment Kit
Return to arthritis home page.