Exercise for lower back pain
by Nathan Wei, MD, FACP, FACR
Nathan Wei is a nationally known board-certified rheumatologist and author of the Second Opinion Arthritis Treatment Kit. It's available exclusively at this website... not available in stores.
Click here: Second Opinion Arthritis Treatment Kit
Always start with a warm up and stretching.
Before doing these exercises, check with your physician.
1. Lie flat on your back. Hug your knees to your chest and at the same time, slowly bring your chin to your chest. Repeat twice, holding for 15 seconds each.
2. Down on all fours. Simultaneously raise and straighten your right arm and left leg until they are parallel to the ground. Hold for 2 seconds and come back slowly to a starting position. Repeat with left arm and right leg, alternating 10 times.
3. Lie facedown on a mat. Keep your arms extended overhead, palms on floor. Simultaneously raise your right arm and left leg as high as comfortably possible. Hold for 10 seconds and slowly return to start. Repeat with left arm and right leg, alternating 10 times. Gradually build up to 20 times.
4. Lie facedown, arms at your side, and place the heels under a couch. Slowly raise your chest off the floor as high as you comfortably can. Hold for 2 seconds and return to start. Gradually increase to 20 times.
Back pain will be improved significantly if these exercises are done at least daily. Put your favorite music on while you do them or time it for when something interesting is on the radio. [Source: US Food & Drug Administration ]
Stand with your feet a little more than shoulder width apart, and your knees slightly bent. Put the palms of your hands facing downwards on your lower back with the heal of your hand at waist level. Lean back as far as you can from the waist supporting your back with your hands. Hold for 10 seconds and then repeat.
When you have a flare up of lower back pain, doing this exercise frequently during the day can provide relief.
Get more information about exercise for lower back pain and related issues as well as...
• Insider arthritis tips that help you erase the pain and fatigue of rheumatoid arthritis almost overnight!
• Devastating ammunition against low back pain... discover 9 secrets!
• Ignored remedies that eliminate fibromyalgia symptoms quickly!
• Obsolete treatments for knee osteoarthritis that still are used... and may still work for you!
• The stiff penalties you face if you ignore this type of hip pain...
• 7 easy-to-implement neck pain remedies that work like a charm!
• And much more...
Click here Second Opinion Arthritis Treatment Kit
Return to arthritis home page.