Doctors that treat Lyme disease

by Nathan Wei, MD, FACP, FACR

Nathan Wei is a nationally known board-certified rheumatologist and author of the Second Opinion Arthritis Treatment Kit. It's available exclusively at this website... not available in stores.

Click here: Second Opinion Arthritis Treatment Kit

Doctors who treat Lyme disease in its earliest stages are usually primary care physicians, rheumatologists or infectious disease specialists.

Lyme disease appears to be increasing in incidence across the United States. The manifestations are sometimes difficult to spot, particularly if the patient doesn't recall having a tick bite.

Depending on the stage of the disease, other specialists may be

called. For example, if a patient develops Bell's palsy or a peripheral neuropathy, an ENT physician and/or neurologist may be asked to see the patient.

If a patient develops heart block, a cardiologist may be asked to examine and treat the patient.

And if the patient develops recurrent knee effusions, either a rheumatologist or orthopedic surgeon may need to be consulted.

There are physicians who bill themselves as Lyme specialists. It is important to be cautious here because desparate patients often make unwise choices. Always check the credentials, experience, and reputation of the doctor.

Return to arthritis home page.

Copyright (c) 2004 - All Rights Reserved

How to Beat Arthritis! Get our FREE monthly Ezine and get your life back!

Enter your E-mail Address
Enter your First Name (optional)

Don't worry — your e-mail address is totally secure.
I promise to use it only to send you Insider Arthritis Tips.