by Nathan Wei, MD, FACP, FACR
Nathan Wei is a nationally known board-certified rheumatologist and author of the Second Opinion Arthritis Treatment Kit. It's available exclusively at this website... not available in stores.
Click here: Second Opinion Arthritis Treatment Kit
Studies on camphor suggest it is useful for osteoarthritis. It is used topically as an analgesic and antipruritic. It is safe when used in low concentrations 0.1-11 percent for topical use on intact skin.
Camphor is now made mostly from turpentine oil. It is a major ingredient in Vicks VapoRub.
Its counterirritant action results in improved local circulation, which is why it may temporarily help soothe arthritis pain.
Adverse effects occur with improper oral use. Significant toxicity (respiratory failure, status epilepticus) has been documented with as little as two grams in adults and 700mg in children.
Oral use is not recommended in adults. It is important not to apply camphor to areas of broken skin since it can reach concentrations that are high enough to cause toxicity.
Get more information about camphor arthritis as well as...
• Insider arthritis tips that help you erase the pain and fatigue of rheumatoid arthritis almost overnight!
• Devastating ammunition against low back pain... discover 9 secrets!
• Ignored remedies that eliminate fibromyalgia symptoms quickly!
• Obsolete treatments for knee osteoarthritis that still are used... and may still work for you!
• The stiff penalties you face if you ignore this type of hip pain...
• 7 easy-to-implement neck pain remedies that work like a charm!
• And much more...
Click here Second Opinion Arthritis Treatment Kit
Return to arthritis home page.