by Nathan Wei, MD, FACP, FACR
Nathan Wei is a nationally known board-certified rheumatologist and author of the Second Opinion Arthritis Treatment Kit. It's available exclusively at this website... not available in stores.
Click here: Second Opinion Arthritis Treatment Kit
Valdecoxib (Bextra) was officially removed by the FDA in 2004.
Valdecoxib was a cyclo-oxygenase-2 selective non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug (NSAID) that was indicated in the US for the treatment of osteoarthritis, rheumatoid arthritis, and menstrual pain. According to the FDA, patients taking valdecoxib had reported serious, potentially life-threatening skin reactions, including Steven-Johnson Syndrome and toxic epidermal necrolysis. Skin reactions were reportedly most likely to occur in the first 2 weeks of treatment but could happen any time during therapy. In a few cases, reactions resulted in death.
Valdecoxib was associated with an increase in MI and stroke in CABG patients.
The Pfizer study, which included more than 1500 patients treated after CABG, showed an increased cardiovascular risk in patients receiving valdecoxib compared with placebo. Observed risks included thromboembolic events such as myocardial infarction, cerebrovascular events, deep vein thrombosis, and pulmonary embolism.
While this drug, like other non-steroidal drugs did what it was supposed to do, it also apparently caused more than its share of side-effects. Another drug in this class, Vioxx, was previously removed from the market because of a marked increase in cardiovascular events.
Get more information about bextra as well as...
• Insider arthritis tips that help you erase the pain and fatigue of rheumatoid arthritis almost overnight!
• Devastating ammunition against low back pain... discover 9 secrets!
• Ignored remedies that eliminate fibromyalgia symptoms quickly!
• Obsolete treatments for knee osteoarthritis that still are used... and may still work for you!
• The stiff penalties you face if you ignore this type of hip pain...
• 7 easy-to-implement neck pain remedies that work like a charm!
• And much more...
Click here Second Opinion Arthritis Treatment Kit
Return to arthritis home page.