by Nathan Wei, MD, FACP, FACR
Nathan Wei is a nationally known board-certified rheumatologist and author of the Second Opinion Arthritis Treatment Kit. It's available exclusively at this website... not available in stores.
Click here: Second Opinion Arthritis Treatment Kit
Benicar HCT is a combination medicine consisting of olmesartan and hydrochlorothiazide. It is a high blood pressure medicine.
Olmesartan relaxes the smooth muscle of blood vessel walls and this lowers blood pressure. Hydrochlorothiazide helps reduce the amount of salt and water in the body by causing the kidneys to increase the flow of urine; this also helps to lower blood pressure.
The hydrochlorothiazide component of the drug can lead to hyperuricemia (increased blood level of uric acid) and therefore may aggravate gout.
Hypertension is part of the constellation of disease collectively known as the metabolic syndrome. Diseases that are part of this complex are hypertension, gout, diabetes, obesity, and hyperlipidemia.
Therefore, the question becomes, does benicar cause gout or is it being used to treat hypertension in a group of people who are at increased risk for getting gout? Chicken or egg?
Get more information about benicar gout and related issues as well as...
• Insider arthritis tips that help you erase the pain and fatigue of rheumatoid arthritis almost overnight!
• Devastating ammunition against low back pain... discover 9 secrets!
• Ignored remedies that eliminate fibromyalgia symptoms quickly!
• Obsolete treatments for knee osteoarthritis that still are used... and may still work for you!
• The stiff penalties you face if you ignore this type of hip pain...
• 7 easy-to-implement neck pain remedies that work like a charm!
• And much more...
Click here Second Opinion Arthritis Treatment Kit
Return to arthritis home page.